Village Info FAQs
Police Department FAQs
Building Department FAQs
Professionals FAQs

Village Info FAQs

  1. How do I file for a parking permit for an event? Muttontown Police Department provides parking permits which will instruct the homeowner of parking restrictions and/or instructions for their guests for an event. Parking Permits are available in the Village Clerk’s Office or you can call Village Hall for assistance. Once the permit is completed by the homeowner and reviewed by the Police Department it will be placed in the homeowner’s mailbox.
  2. Should I notify the Village if I am going out of town? The Village of Muttontown provides a Vacant Premises Report for residents who are heading out of town. The report is available in the Village Clerk’s Office or you can call Village Hall for assistance. Once the report is completed by the homeowner, the Muttontown Police Department will retain a copy and check the residence on a daily basis as requested.
  3. Can I get a handicapped parking permit at Village Hall if I am a resident of Muttontown? Handicapped parking permits can be issued in the Village Clerk’s Office for residents of Muttontown. Applications are available at the DMV or online at https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv6641.pdf . All applications must be fully completed and properly executed. All questions must be answered and Medical Certification MUST be completed by a New York State Practicing Licensed Medical Doctor. All applications must be signed, not stamped.
  4. How can I get a copy of an accident report which occurred in the Village of Muttontown? Accident reports are available for pick up in the Village Clerk’s Office or you can call Village Hall for more information. There is no charge for Muttontown residents and a $10 fee for non-residents.
  5. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale or a tag sale? A permit is required for all garage or tag sales which is available on our Forms and Permits page or at Village Hall. Personnel must be supplied to direct traffic. A Parking Permit must be obtained by the Muttontown Police Department before this application can be approved.
  6. How can I find out the amount due for my Village of Muttontown taxes? Village property tax amounts can be obtained by calling Village Hall or checking online at Village Taxes, you will need your Section, Block, Lot and PIN from your latest tax bill..
  7. When are Village of Muttontown taxes due without penalty and what is the penalty rate? Village Taxes are due on June 1. Payment is accepted without penalty if paid by or postmarked by July 1. Taxes are payable by ACH or Credit Card online (see link in question 6) or by check via mail or by check and cash (subject to COVID-19 guidelines) in person at Village Hall, Monday through Friday 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. There is a 5% late fee if paid after July 1 and the balance will accrue an additional 1% interest on the first of the month thereafter if it remains unpaid.

Police Department FAQs

  1. When should I call 911 instead of the police line at Village Hall? 911 should be called whenever an immediate police response is required (medical emergency, auto accidents, fire, suspicious persons or vehicles, trees or wires in roadway, etc.). Muttontown police officers will respond to all events occurring in the Village. The police line at Village Hall is not regularly monitored and should not be used in the event of an emergency.
  2. When should I call the police line, (516) 364-3950, at Village Hall? You should call the police line for routine matters, such as to request a permit for parking, estate/tag sale, film shoot or commercial event. You may also call the police line to notify the police you will be away from your home for a specific period of time. When prompted, please leave your name, address, phone number and reason for calling. A member of the Muttontown Police Department will return the call and address your request.
  3. To what telephone number should my residential burglar/fire alarm be programmed to call? All alarm systems in the Village should be programmed to automatically call (516) 742-7464 when the alarm is activated. This telephone number is linked to the 911 system and results in Muttontown police officers being quickly dispatched to your home or place of business. In the event your alarm system is accidentally activated, please call your alarm contractor to advise responding police units that the alarm was activated in error.
  4. Can I call the police line at Village Hall regarding an incident that occurred outside the Village or for any other inquiry? You can always call (516) 364-3950 to speak with an officer or leave a message. A member of the Muttontown Police Department will contact you to discuss your request.

Building Department FAQs

The Building Department of the Village of Muttontown works to maintain positive relationships with homeowners, contractors and realtors, and to provide transparency and guidance for an easier permitting process. We strive to satisfy our residents in a respectful and professional manner.  We look forward to working with you so that you can achieve your building goals.  

  1. How do I know when I need a building permit? If you are unsure as to whether your scope of work requires a permit, please contact the Building Department at (516) 364-6314.  We are happy to help clarify and answer any questions prior to you embarking on your project.
  2. Why do I need a building permit? Permits ensure that construction within our municipality meets with standards set out in the NYS Building Code and the Code of the Village of Muttontown. Your project must meet basic requirements for health, safety and structural soundness. Beyond this, the permit process makes sure that your plans are in line with other village requirements, such as zoning regulations. View the zoning map here.
  3. What is the timeframe for getting a building permit? The process from application submission to permit issuance varies depending on the scope of work.  The Building Department is committed to helping an applicant move forward in the process in a timely and efficient manner.
  4. Does a building permit expire? If so, when? A building permit expires 18 months after the issue date for the construction of a new home, or for additions >=50%, and 12 months for most other permits. 
  5. Are there specific hours that contractors may work? Yes, work may be performed Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.  No work is permitted on weekends or holidays. The use of any landscaping equipment for regular maintenance by commercial landscapers is allowed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Saturdays. However, it is prohibited on a Saturday in the A-3 ( 1/ 2 acre) Zoning District or any lot within 500 feet of the A-3 Zoning District. View the zoning map here.
  6. How may I access my building department records? You need to fill out a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) application. Upon approval, you will be contacted to come in to view your file, and/or get copies of items in the file.
  7. How can I find the setback requirements for a property within the Village? Setback requirements are found in §190-7 of the Village Code.  To find out the zone of a particular property, please reference the zoning map.
  8. Do I need a permit to remove trees? Yes, you must complete a one-page tree removal permit application for all trees (dead, diseased or alive) which are 7 inches or more by caliper or 22 inches in circumference measured at any point between the ground and height of three feet above the ground.  Applications for tree removal are available here, and all requirements listed on the application need to be submitted. Tree permits expire after three months from the date of issuance.  You may contact the Building Department at (516) 364-6314 with any questions before submitting an application.
  9. Is a permit required for a real estate for sale sign? Yes, a permit is required. Applications are available here. Permits are issued for a $100 fee for a three-month period and signs need to be placed on the homeowner’s property, not the village or other municipal right-of-way. No permits are required to hold an open house at a property for sale within the Village.
  10. What is the SARB and when is an appearance required? The Site and Architectural Review Board (SARB) reviews all Building Department applications which include exterior work and that ultimately will affect the character, appearance and aesthetics of the Village. Applications requiring a SARB appearance will be placed on the agenda of the next available meeting date.
  11. Do I need a permit for driveway repair? You do not need a permit to seal coat or resurface the same size and shape driveway.  If you are widening or changing the shape, or changing materials, a permit and SARB approval is required.

Professionals FAQs

Please check back soon for FAQs for Professionals working in the Village of Muttontown.

Established in 1931

Get Involved

Calendar of Events

<< Feb 2023 >>
29 30 31 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 1 2 3 4

Upcoming Events

Tue, Feb 7, 2023
Planning Board Meeting - Cancelled
Muttontown Village Hall, Muttontown NY
Wed, Feb 8, 2023
Trustee Meeting
Muttontown Village Hall, Muttontown NY
Thu, Feb 9, 2023
Court ARR./Conferences/Trials - Cancelled
Muttontown Village Hall, Muttontown NY

Important Messages

September 8, 2022 - Police Announcement - Police Burglary Tips

March 2, 2021 - COVID-19 Village Court Information - COVID-19 Village Court Information